At Bowes we use the lively phonic programme 'Read, Write, Inc. Phonics' to ensure we get our youngest children reading and writing quickly. Our aim is for our children to be able to read with accuracy and confidence, and above all to love reading.
At the heart of the programme is the lively and vigorous teaching of synthetic phonics. Using this programme, children learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into comprehending what they read. It also allows them to spell effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into composing what they write.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- Learn that sounds are represented by written letters
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- Learn how to blend sounds
- Learn to read words using Fred Talk
- Read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- Show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
When using RWI to write the children will:
- Learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds
- Learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- Write simple sentences and then increasingly complex sentences
To find out more about Read, Write, Inc. please click here.