- Southgate Green & Edmonton DT
- New Southgate
- Our Curriculum
- National Curriculum Y1-6
- Year 5
The children in Year 5 will be taught about:
- the Viking and Anglo-Saxon struggle for the Kingdom of England to the time of Edward the Confessor
This could include:
- Viking raids and invasion
- resistance by Alfred the Great and Athelstan, first king of England
- further Viking invasions and Danegeld
- Anglo-Saxon laws and justice
- Edward the Confessor and his death in 1066
- a non-European society that provides contrasts with British history – one study chosen from: early Islamic civilization, including a study of Baghdad c. AD 900; Mayan civilization c. AD 900; Benin (West Africa) c. AD 900-1300.
- Class choice linked to learning journey theme.