- We believe that a quality English curriculum should develop pupils' love of reading, writing and discussion.
- We aim to inspire an appreciation of our rich and varied literary heritage and a habit of reading widely and often.
- We recognise the importance of nurturing a culture where pupils take pride in their writing, can write clearly and accurately and adapt their language and style for a range of contexts.
- We want to inspire all of our pupils to be confident when speaking and listening and to use discussion to communicate and further their learning.
- We believe that a secure basis in literacy skills is crucial to a high-quality education and will provide our pupils with the tools they need to participate fully as a member of society.
- We have a rigorous and well organised English curriculum that provides many purposeful opportunities for reading, writing and discussion. We use the EYFS Framework and the KS1 and KS2 National Curriculum to support planning.
- Where relevant, links are made to other curriculum areas.
- Pupils participate in daily English lessons throughout the school.
- Our Foundation Stage and KS1 pupils follow the Read Write Inc. Phonics programme. Please click here for more information.
- The Read Write Inc. programme is used as an intervention for pupils who need additional phonics support in KS2.
- We use a wide variety of quality texts and resources to motivate and inspire our pupils.
- Pupils will use their English knowledge and skills, in all curriculum areas, to enable them to know more, remember more and understand more.
- A variety of strategies are used to evaluate the knowledge, skills and understanding that our pupils gain as they progress from Nursery to Year 6.
- Pupils will have a love of reading and use their reading skills as a tool to help them to learn.
- Planned and regular feedback for learning opportunities are undertaken.
- Subject monitoring, including book looks and learning walks, are carried out by the senior leadership team.
- Moderation across the Enfield Learning Trust is used to ensure teacher judgements are secure.
- CPD is planned to ensure that teacher pedagogy and assessment is secure.
Please find available for download the English Primary National Curriculum.